Wednesday, August 27, 2008

30 week appt. 8/25

I saw a new doctor in the practice on Monday and really liked her. I like all 3 of the docs in this practice which is unusual.

I took Ainsley with me since it was her last day w/ me and she did great. Of course she was watching a movie on my Ipod so it wasn't too hard to keep her quiet. She got to hear the baby's heartbeat which was fun. She's really into feeling the baby move too. She gets really excited when she feels him which is frequent!

So the exam went well. She just listened to his heartbeat and measured my uterus. She said everything "looks and sounds excellent". She has no concerns. So then it was my turn to ask numerous questions.

I recently reviewed Sage's discharge summary from the NICU and I realized that I didn't know much about why she had such a hard time right after birth. I was surprised b/c Dr. Tran said that it was very very RARE what we went through w/ Sage. Jaundice is not uncommon, but to be in the NICU for 6 days with it is. So while that stunk for Sage, it's actually somewhat good news for this baby. She didn't actually read Sage's paperwork and I need to take it in 1 more time b/c 1 of the possible diagnoses for Sage was "possible sepsis". However, she was never given antibiotics so I assume that was ruled out and I was never made aware of that possible diagnosis.

I specifically asked if the hyperbilirubin issue was b/c of our blood incompatibility and she said "absolutely". Currently, my body is producing a low level amount of antibodies against the baby's blood (if he's +) but there is nothing we can do until the baby is born. She is not worried about him but understands my concerns and my desire to be super proactive once his is born. I've gotten the Rhogam shots which is all I can do for him in utero.

The other slight "downer" to my appt. was that he is measuring a tiny bit small. So, I'm 30 weeks, my uterus should measure 30cm, but I measured 29cm. I guess he has been measuring small consistently and not falling more behind-a good thing. But of course I would prefer is he was right on track. Again, she said she wasn't worried about this (and the other docs never even mentioned that he was measuring small) but she did state that Sage was indeed small and might have had an immature liver which might have had a difficult time ridding her body of the bilirubin. I hope that he isn't tiny like she was!!!

So of course I need a plan. I have to take Sage in to her doc about a rash on her face and I intend to make sure that the 3 pediatricians know Sage's history and know that we need to get bloodwork done on the baby soon after he is born, rather than waiting 24 hours like we did with Sage. We were not patients with this pediatrician's office when Sage was born.

I continue to pray that he is O-, then most of these concerns will become non issues (both girls are +). And of course if he does have any of the jaundice issues, I'll be much more likely to pump and offer more bottles in the beginning days to try to rid his body of it and nurse more when he is home!

Thanks for reading!!

No comments: