Dear Family and Friends,
Today was indeed a Big Day - the first treatment with the proton beam. I went over to the center for my initial appointment with the MD and my Case Manager, and that took about ten minutes. Then, I noted that treatment was running two hours behind schedule. Since I live about eight minutes away, no problem. Back in about 5:15, and Houston, we have ignition.
The treatment team were super; I don't know how they keep pace with their workload and don't shoot a few uncooperative patients, but they do. After preparations (including a few things not to be discussed here), I was on the table ready for what I didn't really know. But they swing you into what is called the gantry which is a horizontal cylinder about 18 feet in diameter. Then, all sorts of thing start happening as you are surrounded by imaging devices. Whatever you do, don't move. Somewhere in that process, the beam is turned on, but you have no sensation of any sort. Bzzzt. That's it. And there I am. I'm thinking about Frankenstein's monster. That's me.
I didn't mention that the gantry rotates, and the patient has no fixed frame of reference. I could have sworn (were I a swearing man) that the table was rotating, and that I must fall off the table, but not so.
And then, it's over. We are 1/39 treatments; that's about 2.5%; we're on a roll. Tomorrow, my treatment time is 9:25 p.m.; yes, p.m. Don't they realize that that is after my bedtime!!
Many thanks to those of you who are praying for me and for the success of this treatment. It makes a huge difference.
Some have asked aobut my mailing address, and here it is:
1303 N. Main St., #209
Jacksonville, FL 32206
Updates momentarily.
Best regards,
Bob
No comments:
Post a Comment