Thursday, December 9, 2010

In her head

On Tues. of this week Lance told me our health insurance ends tonight! My mind starting spinning. I made an appt. for Sage for the doc and refilled all our meds. The long and short of it is that I believe Sage's issues are in her head.......literally. Like in her sinuses.  If you think about it, it makes sense. As soon as she got tubes, she no longer had ear infections and no longer had antibiotic dumped into her system every couple of weeks. Thus, the coughing began b/c the antibiotics had been working simultaneously on her sinuses.  Sage was treated for a sinus infection in Nov. As soon as she was on antibiotic, the coughing stopped. Just days after she was off the drug, it started again.... I don't believe she was treated long enough to get her sinuses healthy, thus causing post nasal drip which causes the cough. I took her to see Dr. Hall yesterday and she agrees. Sage's 1 ear does not look well and she always, always, always, has what I call "rubber cement boogers".  Unfortunately, it did mean a CT was in order to "prove" this theory but I'm over it. I took sage today and she rocked  it. She is such a trooper. $240.00 for a 2 minute CT scan. Awesome. Assuming her sinuses are a complete mess (blocked fully in both sides like they were with her first CT scan in 4/09) she will take antibiotic a full 20 days to try to get them clear....in the meantime I need to find a great ENT in P'burg soon after we move there. Not surprising, Mucinex (mucus thinner) seems to be helping her cough. I am really considering a sinus rinse machine but have put off the purchase b/c 1. I know she will hate doing the rinse and 2. it's very expensive. But cheaper than another CT scan!

While it is really encouraging to feel like maybe we are finally getting some answers to this issue that has plagued sage's health.....I want to scream from our rooftop...."I DID NOT GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!! WHY AM I THE ONE MAKING THIS DIAGNOSIS FOR MY DAUGHTER AND GETTING THE DOCTORS ON BOARD?  HOW MANY HOURS OF OUR LIVES HAVE WE SPENT IN A DOCTOR'S OFFICE DEALING WITH ALL OF THIS AND HOW MUCH MONEY HAVE WE SPENT ON DOCTORS, PROCEDURES, SURGERIES, AND MEDICATIONS THAT DID NOT REALLY EVEN HELP???  But that would not be very nice to say, would it?

I just got the call from the doc. Good news. Sage definitely has sinusitis, but it is improved since her last CT scan. this is great as it means she will slowly (hopefully) grow out of this issue and not require sinus surgery which I have heard is awful.  It's a bummer she's at risk for this but such is life.

1 more interesting thing to note, Sage still coughs but she has also started clearing her throat to deal w/ the drip. Makes life a little more tolerable for everyone.

Okay. We're out the door soon to celebrate Lance's last day and this new season of our life!

No comments: