Saturday, February 11, 2012

Asthma/allergy testing

In my haste to get the last post posted, I completely forgot to post big news from the respiratory front.
I had Sage tested for asthma and allergies this past Thursday. She was an amazing patient. The nurses and doc were extremely impressed by her. Testing was at least 2 hours and she was a champ. Sage does not have asthma. She does have asthma-like tendencies w/ her coughing but cannot be labeled as an "asthmatic". This is good news, not a surprise.

We had her tested for allergies 3 years ago. Age 3 is early for allergies to show up. Age 6 was a completely different experience.  Girlfriend has ALL my allergies. She had the skin testing done on her back and her poor back was a mess after testing. Red and itchy all over.  Of the 10 things she was tested for, she's allergic to 9 of them.  The list includes: early and late trees, grasses, ragweed, molds, housedust, housedust mite, egg white and wheat.  Her egg white and wheat allergies are tiny (I am also slightly allergic to egg) and we don't have to worry about them at this time. She is not allergic to milk products.  To help her health we will be keeping her on Singulair and have added Clariton to her daily meds. We are considering allergy shots for her.  I won't put her though those alone. I will also get the shots if we decide to treat her that way.  I'm thinking I'll get Ainsley tested soon b/c she shows even more signs of allergies than Sage and if I'm taking 2 of us in for weekly shots, she might as well get them (if she qualifies).  So that is that. While allergies stink and I'm hugely bummed for her, I'm also encouraged that maybe we can actually DO something to help this child and all the coughing.  I also loved the allergist and am thrilled to no longer need a pulmonologist (I have not found 1 here anyway!).

On a completely different note, I added a gadget to the bottom of my blog. If you want to be automatically notified via email when I have updated the blog, you can add your email and follow the steps to have that done.
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Brad and Lauren Holmes said...

I am so happy that you have figured out what has been troubling Sage all this time! That must be a huge relief, at the same time, I know what a stink allergies can be. I had to have weekly shots for a couple of years when I was young too. As a kid, I didn't think much of it, I thought it was pretty "normal"! :-) I miss you friend!