Friday, May 23, 2008

Kindergarten orientation take 2 and giving up

I'm giving up & giving in. I've been putting off taking allergy medication the past 17 weeks, I can do it no longer. I actually was not allowed to take Zyrtec until the second trimester but I just called and confirmed again w/ the nurse that it's okay to take Zyrtec (class B drug) and tomorrow it will be the first thing I do....buy it and take it! People have actually been asking me, "do you feel okay?" "are you sick?" b/c of my sneezing & snotty nose, red eyes, etc. Never mind the fact that with sneezing 40+ times a day and being pregnant, I run the risk of wetting my pants every sneeze! That's no good. But worth it of course!!! As I've thought about it, this is the first east coast/ spring pregnancy for me. It makes quite a difference.

Today Ainsley went to Maryvale Elem. (French Immersion) orientation. I wasn't super impressed w/ their orientation but it's fine. Parents and kids went into different rooms. I guess her skills weren't assessed like they were at Resnik which is probably good, b/c she has no skills in French anyway! The teacher read her (and the other kids) a story in French and Ainsley did comment that she didn't understand her. But throughout the day I could tell she was trying to figure out the story. From day 1 in the program, the teachers will only speak French to her. She can respond in English until 12/1 of first grade. Then it's all French w/ teachers AND peers. I was so impressed to see that in action on my tour.

We have a new pseudo pet. A bunny is living in our backyard. I guess he takes refuge under the deck. It's been fun for all of us to spot him several times a day. He's either brave or dumb (I pick the latter) in that he lets us get very close to him. I think he's disabled, maybe he's just super young & still learning to get around?? Regardless, when he hops he often ends up on his back and it's sad to watch him try to turn over. I keep telling Lance that some hawk is going to get him but each day he's there.

Lance took the pedals and training wheels off A's bike. She was excited about it which is very different from previous attempts to get the t. wheels off. We'll see how she does. I think she'll enjoy bike riding so much more w/o the t. wheels.

Lance has been on the phone less this week w/ Mark which is nice for him. I always feel bad when I come down and see him wearing his headphones. I like to chat w/ people but not for 8 hours a day while working.

It looks like I will probably pick up 1 client for the summer. I just have to firm it up with my sitter and get insurance and I'll probably start seeing him in June. The dad wants to go through insurance. He will pay me and file the paperwork w/ the insurance. I refuse to deal w/ insurance companies.

I took the kids to the park today. Sage loved it. They both did. She's into the running around and running away stage though. It's interesting how that's changed. The park was packed so I pretty much just tried to look for A. at times and really had to watch after Sage. She is rather adventuresome. I think she tries things b/c she sees Ains do them. Keeps me running and on my toes!