Monday, May 5, 2008

Update on "the workweek"

Last week was great. The floors look BEAUTIFUL! I'm so glad we went for it. I actually wish we had done upstairs too but I was uncomfortable w/ the idea of having hardwood floor on the stairs as often as kids fall down stairs. The guys showed up early and were done by 5pm. They went over and above and did a great job. On Fri. the drywall guys showed up. They did an okay job. The drywall in the stairs looks fine but the cloth they put over their ladder (so it wouldn't scratch the wall) was blue and it left 2 blue marks way up high. Lance isn't fired up with their work on the textured ceiling but no one is going to get it perfect and at least it is finished. The best part of all of this is that Lance did not use any time off to complete these tasks. When the drywall guys were working we were hanging out on the deck as a family enjoying Chinese take-out. I don't take it for granted that we were spending time together relaxing on a beautiful day while someone else was handling these time consuming tasks.

Sage's pulmonology appt. went well. I feel so blessed that my kids do so well with doctors. It's nothing I've done for sure. In Sage's case, she has seen so many doctors in such a short amount of time....Anyway, Dr. Rosenberg commented several times on her good behavior, calling her "an angel who was sent to help him get through his Friday". He and the nurse were so impressed that she would cooperate with anything they asked. He was pleased that she made it though this cold w/0 wheezing. So are Lance and I. But he does want her to have a nebulizer for future attacks. Apparently, for a "cougher" a nebulizer is a much better treatment than the inhaler. Same drug, just different means of getting it into the lungs. This is what I've been suspecting and was anticipating. So we should get the nebulizer tomorrow. And if we never have to use it, I'll be happy to waste the money on it! :) I should say that I don't know that Dr. Rosenberg would call her an asthmatic. Probably a phrase he would more likely use to describe her issue is asthma-like symptoms following the trigger (in her case a cold). But he was really optimistic that she would grow out of it as early as 3. I feel the same way.

On Sat. we took the kids to Quarry day. It was great. I could not believe that everything was free, but it was. We took a bus tour of the quarry, enjoyed the food and the kids hopped around on the moon bounce things. If we had more time Ainsley wanted to play the games and I'm sure they would have loved to do the arts and crafts but Sage needed a nap and it was starting to get warm.

On Sat. we also found out that Ainsley's name had been picked for the French Immersion Program. We are excited that she has this opportunity. So I am essentially starting over........researching this school option, comparing this elementary school to the homeschool elementary school we're assigned to to make sure it's a better school, researching transportation, trying to find other moms w/ kids in this program to see how satisfied they are, trying to figure out which questions are important to ask next Monday when I visit and sit down with the director of the program. I spoke briefly w/ her today on the phone and she did warn me that the first 6 months are going to be intense for Ainsley b/c she doesn't know French and she'll have to work twice as hard initially. But it doesn't sound like she'll be alone in not knowing French. Lance was able to go to the information meeting but I haven't even seen the school. We are still waiting to hear from the Chinese Immersion program. I think their lottery is this week.