Monday, February 2, 2009

"Your intuition is good"

That's what the doctor told me today when I took Jude in for the second time in 3 days. Jude has had a really wet cough and did not sleep well Fri. night. Lance took him in on Sat. and his ears and chest were good. I knew something was coming though. A mother always knows.

Today I took Sage to the dentist (her first dentist appt. & she did great!) and while I was holding Jude I heard him wheezing. I wasn't sure it was wheezing so I had Lance listen when we got home and then called to ask the doc's advice and the woman on the phone encouraged me to bring him in. Dr. Hall heard the wheezing immediately. It is not terrible wheezing, just a little bit but she diagnosed him with RSV. I was not happy to hear this. She was surprised that when she looked back through his chart he had just come in and was okay. That's when she told me "your intuition is good" and basically congratulated me on bringing him in today despite having just brought him in 2 days ago.

So now he gets breathing treatments every 4 hours until the wheezing goes away. He cannot use Sage's tubing or mask b/c she's had a yeast infection on her face for many months and the last thing we want is for him to get thrush and then me to get it. The pharmacy didn't carry the neb. supplies/mask but the doctor called me back saying she had "torn the office apart and found one". Back to the office I went & stopped by the pharmacy a second time on the way home to get everyone's drugs. Jude will get Albuteral and Sage is getting Diflucan (orally) for her yeast infection.

I feel like I spend so much of my life driving around in circles and that's exactly what I did today. I went from home to the dentist, home for lunch, to the doctor, to the pharmacy, home to get the girls to a neighbor's house, to the doctor, to the pharmacy. I'm so thankful that Erin volunteered to watch the girls and FEED THEM DINNER! What a huge blessing. Helped me out immensely after such an exhausting day. What I hate is that I saw Ainsley for about 20 minutes of this whole day. Now she's asleep.

Please pray for Jude. That his wheezing will end and the RSV will go away quickly. It can last 10 days. Pray that he won't get a fever. The doctor is not worried about him. In general, RSV can be deadly to premature babies or babies w/ lung issues, not babies like Jude.

No comments: