Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It happens

Poop.
It happens.
But when it changes and looks all green and stinky from my baby's sweet body....I send out my SOS calls to my mommy friends for advice.
His poop hasn't been right since Feb. or even before but I can't remember. The pediatrician (last week's appt.) was quizzing me on his poop and when it changed to diarrhea and in my head I'm thinking, "Lady, I have 3 children. I'm just happy that Jude gets changed regularly! I can't remember when his pooped changed". Mom of the year award right there. All I know is that when I took him in for his 4 month check, Dr. Hall took 1 look at his poopy diaper and claimed he had a sensitivity to milk which is why I'm off dairy and he gets Soy formula on occassion. Things did not get better.

Anyway. Last week Dr. Heart recommended probiotics to help Jude's digestive tract. I went to CVS and couldn't find them and promptly forgot to get them until this weekend. If you remember, I had him in to the doctor b/c he had been crying all of Monday night. His sleep was off last week for sure.
To make you laugh...Lance and I saw his diaper on Sunday and we both thought, "we had better get the probiotics pronto!" So, my sweet husband went out Sunday night to a different CVS and came home with......chewables!!??? Uh?? Hmmm. I didn't want to hurt the guy's feelings but I am not about to chew it up and give it to Jude like a bird. 30 tablets cost $32.00! Back it went.

Over the weekend Jude's poop got fouler and fouler. Thankfully, he did not! He was just as happy as can be! I just love that little guy! Dark green diarrhea that STUNK. I eventually spoke to the pediatrician about Jude's poop yesterday b/c it was getting worse. Diagnosis: Either he has a tiny stomach bug or he has a sensitivity to the SOY formula. This is a bit commical seeing as Jude might get 2 or 3 bottles of formula a week since I nurse. If he were sleeping through the night (as both of his older sisters were by 4 months, ahem) he would not be getting bottles of formula anyway!
I digress. She hooked us up with some super duper hypoallergenic formula just in case it's a soy allergy. BTW, since Sage is off dairy I read all food labels now and soy is in EVERYTHING. I hope it's not the soy. And, Dr. Hall just encouraged me to take probiotics and he'll get it from me. So I dusted off my bottle of asidophulus that expired in 2005 (another mom-of-the-year-reward right there) and have been taking it this week.

If things don't improve in the poop dept. I'll ask to do a stool sample or at least take a diaper in for the doc to look at.

Sage saw the chiropractor yesterday. He still thinks that somehow she has dairy in her system. I'm a little annoyed since he didn't provide me with even a hand out on all the dairy items to avoid. It's not just the obvious but includes whey, milk proteins and caseine. He did a minor adjustment on her while she laid on me and myofacial release. He said her adrenal glands are pretty beat up which is why I keep going to him b/c they play such a huge role in regulating cortisone which plays a role in her asthma. I'll take her back in a week but I will likely ditch the guy and keep her off dairy and see if there's any improvement. At least that's how I feel at the moment. Don't hold me to it.

2 comments:

Lana said...

I am VERY familiar with diarrhea, ha, ha. Whole Foods sells Baby Jarrow brand probiotics. Comes in a bottle and is powdered to add to formula or whatever Jude drinks. Carmen gets some serious probiotics but they are costing about $100 per month so I wouldn't recommend those unless Jude has C-diff.
Whole Foods also sells some good probiotics for you. Tablets that you can take that Jude would get. Good luck!

Cristie Good said...

Hey! We were JUST there last night to look at probiotics for everyone. The only affordable ones I could find for him had both milk and soy....so we skipped them. I am taking asidopholus though hoping that it will help his gut.
Did you try Diflucan for Carmen's yeast infection??