Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sage update


Last week Sage was sick with a runny nose and pretty bad coughing. In fact, if she runs hard enough, she still coughs a junky cough. It was a long 5 nights of much coughing. This week she has an ear infection. We stayed home today so she could get some good rest.

Friday is a big day for Sage. I am having her speech skills evaluated by the county. She should qualify, however, I have my research collected and have consulted a few of my speech peeps to remind me of the process and my rights as her parent and how to challenge the team if I need to. Unfortunately, Sage has fluid in her ears and she will fail the hearing portion of the eval. I'm hoping they won't give me too much grief about it. Please pray that she does qualify and that her future therapist knows what to do with velopharyngeal mislearning. It is not an easy articulation disorder to remediate.

It's hard for me to not feel like I have failed Sage. But, in my gut, I know it's not good for me to be both her mom and her therapist. In fact, we were taught in graduate school to not be our childrens' therapists. It affects our relationship. I can't think like a therapist when I try to do therapy with her. I will practice with her at home once services are in place, but someone else needs to be her motivation.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: