Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Parenting do's and dont's


Jude's fever is continuing to make him miserable. bummer. Sage and Jude are both getting checked by the doctor tomorrow morning before we head to PA.  I wanted to write up a funny story though.

Yesterday I went to get Sage at preschool. Both Sage and Jude were in their carseats but the van door was still open. Her friend, Vashnavi, was right next to our van, getting into her van. {one day I plan to take a picture of the rows and rows of minivans at preschool!} Vashnavi said something to Sage about "this is my van and i get to sit in the backseat today". Her mom and I just laughed about it. Then Sage says, "this is my brother, he threw up this morning". awesome.! I don't think V's mom heard or understood Sage. There are a few blessings to having a soft-spoken child.
---

Weeks, even months ago, the girls were fighting in their room. I told them, "girls, you are the only sisters you are ever going to have and one day you won't share a room and you'll live far away from each other and you'll miss each other alot.  You need to be nice to each other."  Oh my stars, I had no idea what would happen next. Sage BURSTS into tears streaming down her face, "but I don't want to be far away from Ainsley". Ainsley and I were shocked.
---

I'm not recommending this parenting strategy. At times when I know Ainsley is lying to me (it's true! she's normal and testing all the boundaries known to man) I will tell her, "Ainsley, you are a terrible liar, I know when you are lying to me and I will continue to pray to God that you will always be a terrible liar".  Yes. I say that to her. Apparently my children hear those words alot because 1 day Sage tells me with tears in her eyes, "I don't want to be 7".  I asked her why not and she said, "because, I'm gonna be a terrible liar".
Posted by Picasa

No comments: