Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sometimes ya gotta let it go....

As I mature as a mom I have had to learn to let things go and to let them go quickly and to not think upon the "what ifs".  I also have to remind myself numerous times a day/week, etc. that it is not my job to worry. At times I even pray and ask God to help me forget events that occur so that I won't dwell on them or let them produce more anxiety in my soul.  Keeping busy helps me not dwell on these things.  Here are a few examples.

Last week, while I was sitting 2 inches from Jude he put his index finger in the phone jack in his room.  He got shocked and he was pretty upset.  He said his finger still hurt later on that day.  

This one was a doozy for me.  With the beautiful weather we have been walking to and from the bus stop. The kids enjoy it and it is a lovely way to start off and end the day with them.  Ainsley asked if she could run ahead...Firstborn needs some independence and she has earned it.  I let her go.  As we came around the corner I found her walking out to me.  She had already gotten home and kicked off her shoes and was walking in the street in her socks towards me.  When I ask her why on earth she was trashing her socks she said, "Mom, it was an emergency".  In her hands she's holding a small box which she opens. Inside, is a tiny, baby snake.  In 5 minutes away from me my child has caught a snake??????  "It was in the foyer right by the front door" she explained.  Super. Now I have snakes in the house. It was all black with a yellow ring around the neck.  Don't worry. We looked it up. It's a Ringneck snake and it's only slightly venomous.  Because slightly venomous is so much better, ya know? Oh my word. My kid caught a poisonous snake before I could even get home from the bus.  This is why I watch my kids like a hawk and why other parents think I'm crazy and paranoid....because things like this happen more than I care to admit!

The phone call from the teacher has already come.  I won't go into details because that's not fair to my kiddo but it might have something to do with behavior.  Tonight I am practicing letting it go because otherwise I get really, really, really down.  Mostly down on myself as a parent and then down on my kid and that's a pretty sad place to be. At times I really wish the school would just deal with it and leave me out of it.  I know that isn't fair to the teacher but it's such an awkward place to be...in the middle between his story and her story.  Hard to know how to proceed....Gonna go sit on the couch and veg out and let it all go...

No comments: