Monday, May 26, 2008

Freecycling & getting rid of stuff

I really dislike clutter. I love to use Freecycle to get rid of stuff (www.freecycle.org). I usually don't even read the updates which now get sent to my bulk folder b/c I sure don't want to bring more stuff into this house BUT for some specific items, I have found a few gems w/ Freecycle. For instance, this past week I posted a WANTED item which was the Muzzy Level I French program to work on French w/ Ainsley. A few people wrote me back and told me what I already knew-that I could get it at the library. But, the library always fails me when it comes to audio visual materials. I had, in fact, already checked out the Muzzy program from the library but it was incomplete as usual. 2 of the videos were the exact same and someone had put a Winnie the Pooh movie in there. Of course that's what the girls wanted to watch.....Anyway. A lady in Poolesville wrote me and said I could have hers-both Level I and Level II programs. I was so excited. I really didn't want to buy it b/c Level I ALONE costs $200.00. I have no idea why she wanted to just give it rather than sell it but she did and both levels are complete. Level II isn't even open. Score!!!

Like Aunt Rhodie we are getting ready for a garage sale coming up this weekend. Our neighborhood is having a community sale which we've never participated in before. We decided that we don't want to bother with pricing things. I guess I'll sort clothes by age and that's about it. I keep finding things to get rid of and with another child on the way we need to get rid of as much extra stuff as possible. If we don't use it on a semi-regular basis or in the past 6 months we don't have room to store it. We haven't figured out what to do with all our many books, most of which are textbooks which are likely not going to sell at a garage sale and were pricey. Maybe I'll investigate half.com....