Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sicky in da house

Lance overheard this conversation while the girls were working a puzzle together. They are REALLY into puzzles right now. He thought it was funny & I got a giggle from it too.

A: Sage, you're just a big baby.
S: No I'm not, I'm a little baby.

I'm a little worried about Sage. Last week I took her to the doctor for a rash on her face. I had been putting it off for a looooong time b/c it seemed to get better and almost go away but then came back. Turns out it is from DROOL from when she sucks her thumb. So we got the medicine and some education on how to prevent the rash b/c the girl is not giving up her thumb anytime soon. We are trying to limit her to sucking it only in the bed but she always has it in her mouth in the car and she knows I can't reach her to pull it out! Anyway. The point is, I took her to the doctor last week and 2 days later she got her usual cold/croup/cough. I wish her doctor's office had a sick waiting room. She was coughing over the weekend but in pretty good spirits. And when I say coughing, I mean coughing every 20 seconds ALL DAY LONG. It's frustrating to watch. We didn't go to church. But on Monday we resumed our normal schedule. Lo and behold today she woke up with a fever and has had it all day long. I've never seen her like this. She wants to me to tuck her in on the couch and she just lays there. Poor baby. I really didn't want to go back to the doctor so I called for advice. The nurse said that if her fever got up to 102 she needs to be seen. Of course it was right up around 102 this afternoon so I anticipate a visit tomorrow. She pretty much only has a fever and a productive cough. I hope they don't hear anything in her lungs or Lance will be forced to take her in for a chest x-ray.....but let's not go there yet! So I will pray that her fever breaks tonight and we can play all day tomorrow!

I volunteered in A's classroom today. Her teacher has so much on her shoulders! Teachers just don't get paid enough!!!! I was there for 1.5 hours and busy almost every single minute trying to help Mme. Toussaint with her 25 kids! I loved watching Ainsley listen to the instructions for an activity and complete the activity at her desk. Such a big girl! She sits at a table w/ about 6 kids and they all know the drill....someone gets the crayons, glue, scissors, pencils. Just fun to see them working all the while chatting it up. It feels like complete chaos to me but her teacher seems to thrive in that environment. I would need medication :) Seriously!

Apparently Ainsley's bus broke down on the way to school today. I feel so out of control of her life....I guess another bus came by and got the students and something about they had to form a single file line and hold hands to transition to the other bus while on a busy road..........eekkk! I asked her if she would rather ride the bus or me drive her. She thought a good long while and said she'd rather ride the bus so she can sit with her friend, Laila.

I love the diversity in A's classroom. I would guess there are around 10 Caucasian kids and a large group of African American kiddos and a few Asian & Hispanic kids. I love that all her new friends are black and look nothing like her at all and have names like Seta and Anca. While I see her talking to the boys, she has no interest in being their friends. That's a big difference from last year. I also love that she really hasn't had any homework and I hope it continues for a long long time!

No comments: