Friday, February 13, 2009

We get to party!

Good news from the Dr. Channey (pulmonologist). We get to have Sage's party! She and Jude have been deemed "not contagious" at this point! We will keep it low key and the bounce house is definitely out (bummer) as any sort of physical activity can exacerbate Sage's asthma attack.

The run down of this week:
Sage's coughing got really bad on Wed., a full week after we had been nebbing her like crazy. I took her to see our pediatrician (Dr.Hall) b/c I couldn't get in with Children's. Sage looked and sounded awful! Even her eyes were swollen. She had a fever, ear infection (both tubes are out now exactly 1 year from having them put in), was coughing like crazy, and maybe even had pneumonia. We decided since she was going on antibiotics anyway for the ear infection that we didn't need to get her x-rayed to rule in/out the pneumonia. I had already given her 1 dose that day of the dreaded steroid, prednizone. The doc took 1 look at her and asked if I had brought the pred. along b/c she wanted her to get the second dose as soon as possible. My little one was really struggling. It took a good 6-8 hours to start working and it was a LONG wait. The doctor also gave us tylenol w/ codeine to knock her out so that she could actually get some rest. Lance and I have wanted codeine for her since her asthma started a year ago b/c she never gets any rest during an attack. She is napping now for the first time in at least a week. She must be exhausted.At this point in the week Jude was starting to not wheeze but was still coughing.

Took Sage to Children's today. It's hard on a mom to hear "her right lung isn't moving much air". Really hard to hear. Dr. Chaney said Sage needed to get nebbed right away so we did that in the office and she could hear significant improvement (via stethascope) immediately after the neb./breathing treatment. Sage is in the midst of a a "bad asthma attack". But when I went over all we're doing for her we got the doc's approval. Next time I think we'll give her the prednizone earlier in the game to try to prevent her all of this suffering. She really does suffer when her asthma is this bad. We suffer just watching her. She also told us when she is this bad that we do need to get up with her during the night and continue her treatments through the night. So, we'll be exhuausted a few more days. It's worth it. At least Sage, Jude and I were all up at the same time last night! (3am).

I asked her to listen to Jude for me. His lungs are good and no ear infection. But he is still coughing and she didn't like the sound of his cough. Given Sage's history we are going to put Jude back on Pulmicort twice daily until his cough is completely gone. She's afraid that if we don't do this, he cough will turn into asthma as well. I will do ANYTHING to keep Jude from also getting this disease.

I might switch to a different pulm. in the future (still at children's). I have to ask Dr. Channey far too many questions. I need a doctor that's going to educate me & she doesn't really do that unless I ask her 42 questions.

Ainsley is having her valentine's party today. A few sweet things she said today about it.
"I'm not going to put my hood up b/c I want my hair to look good for the party."
"Mom, I have to wear my white shoes so I'll look good for the party!"
"I can't wear those shoes! (sneakers) b/c everyone will laugh at me!"

Gotta scoot. I have a party to plan!

No comments: